A few thoughts on the latest report of a “less-expensive” iPhone by Jessica E. Lessin for The Wall Street Journal:
1) This report seems to surface every year, including by the same Wall Street Journal that is reporting the news today.
2) That said, there does seem to be more gathering momentum around the idea of a “cheap iPhone” this time around. I smell a faint hint of Apple.
3) But Apple already sells “cheap iPhones”: the iPhone 4S is currently $99 with a two-year contract and the iPhone 4 is free with the same contract. Hard to get cheaper than “free”.
4) So perhaps this has to do more with perception. The current cheaper iPhones must lose some luster as they’re simply older devices at a discounted price. Maybe this new “cheap iPhone” would be a complete makeover with the same internals as the older models, but with a new build to entice buyers.
5) Along those lines, I find it hard to believe Apple would simply do a “cheap iPhone” — it would have to be a different product from the flagship version in some other way. Offering various colors is an obvious approach, but I think there would have to be something else as well. There are no “cheap iPads” or “cheap iPods”, there are significantly different versions (iPad mini, iPod nano, etc) at different price points.
6) Or perhaps this is all simply meant for other markets where the iPhone does not sell as well. As WSJ notes, the iPhone is still the top selling smartphone in the U.S. But that’s not the case in other markets, and China has been particularly troublesome. Apple probably doesn’t want to just cede a billion potential users to cheap Android devices.
7) I do think Apple has to be careful here. While Gene Munster doesn’t seem too worried about the margins (thinking this phone would attract users that wouldn’t normally buy an iPhone), if such a device was popular enough, it would definitely drive down Apple’s famous margins. Users, of course, won’t and shouldn’t give a shit about that, but investors will (and Apple should — the iPhone dominates their bottom line). Just wait until we see what the iPad mini does to the margin this quarter.
One additional point worth adding: As long as we’re trafficking in rumor and speculation, the predictions of multiple colored iPhone 5S options would make more sense on a budget iPhone line, ala the iPod Nano.
71 Notes/ Hide
- buysteroidsunitedkingdom likes this
- netzkobold likes this
- thenatemagee reblogged this from parislemon
- myflashgamebase likes this
- brandondonnelly reblogged this from parislemon and added:
- boo21 likes this
- oneinfiniteblog reblogged this from parislemon
- mommamerc likes this
- justingo reblogged this from parislemon and added:
- justingo likes this
- dereckie reblogged this from parislemon
- elliottpesut likes this
- reywtf likes this
- wineandkink reblogged this from parislemon
- wenderson-lima4 likes this
- perfectputa reblogged this from parislemon
- kingv84 reblogged this from parislemon
- geeklawbeta reblogged this from parislemon and added:
- travelgadgets likes this
- appleafterstevejobs reblogged this from parislemon and added:
- vievv likes this
- bookofdoomed reblogged this from parislemon
- geilasmaujtun reblogged this from parislemon and added:
- geilasmaujtun likes this
- zellasmalltun reblogged this from parislemon and added:
- zellasmalltun likes this
- vinayhg reblogged this from parislemon
- digithoughts likes this
- srikard likes this
- default001 reblogged this from bestnatesmithever and added:
- xrechargex reblogged this from parislemon and added:
- rose5000152 likes this
- papawarbucks likes this
- diklein likes this
- outrunwhatwaitsforyoutomorrow likes this
- rplusdc likes this
- atshawn reblogged this from parislemon and added:
- gizzard-of-the-gods likes this
- jfmartin likes this
- pooter likes this
- brightsizelifekr likes this
- iamkenney likes this
- ananian likes this
- kim likes this
- thehobodad likes this
- phraznikov reblogged this from parislemon and added:
- lightsandcolor likes this
- phraznikov likes this
- joey-minaj likes this